DIAL M FOR MARVELLOUS: MURRINGO FINALLY GETS CONNECTED

Media Release – 24 July, 2017

Today (Monday, 24 July) will “ring in” a new era for Murringo when one of the region’s most frustrating mobile phone dead zones finally gets connected, Member for Cootamundra Katrina Hodgkinson has announced.

The new mobile phone tower – co-located at the existing NBN tower and operated by Telstra – has been funded under round one of the Mobile Black Spot Program.

The Federal Government program has been bolstered by a $25 million investment by the NSW Government to improve reception in black spots across the state.

The new tower has been welcomed by Murringo families, farmers, small businesses and emergency services.

Murringo RFS captain Peter Parkman described the tower as a “huge step forward”, saying previously, firefighters could only be notified of an emergency through an out-dated pager service, or by making mobile calls when they were “miles out of town”.

The patchy reception was also a bugbear for travellers, with Murringo Road a popular thoroughfare connecting drivers from Young and Boorowa to Canberra.

Katrina said it was pleasing to see the tower finally come to fruition.

“I travel that road regularly and have suffered the frustration of phone ‘drop-outs’ many times,” Katrina said.

“For many years, I’ve heard complaints from residents about poor reception and made many representations on their behalf for a tower.

“The Nationals in government have also fought extremely hard for extra black spot funding.

“This is wonderful news for the Murringo community and I’m proud to have been able to play a part in bringing the tower to life.”

Katrina and federal colleague Michael McCormack will be on hand for the tower’s official opening on Monday, 24 July at 11.30am.

Media: Daniel Johns on 6924 2533 or 0477 722 428

 

 
Photo Gallery